It is essential to have a Permanent Account Number (PAN) and an Aadhaar card. If you possess both, you are in the clear. However, if you don’t, you should consider applying right away. Those who don’t link their PAN cards to their Aadhaars by March 31, 2022, will be subject to a penalty. Before this, the deadline to Link Aadhaar with PAN Card December 31, 2021. However, as per the latest news, that deadline has been pushed to March 31, 2022.
Link Aadhaar with PAN Card
Aadhaar has been made mandatory by the Government of India, so you must link your PAN and Aadhaar cards before March 31, 2022. You will not file your income tax returns, etc., if you do not comply since your PAN will be deactivated. Moreover, make sure both your Aadhaar and PAN cards have the same name. You won’t link Aadhaar with PAN if there is a spelling error. Correcting your name is necessary to link your PAN with Aadhaar. It can be done quickly once your name has been corrected.
PAN cards not linked with Aadhaar within the specified timeframe will become invalid, putting you at risk of legal action. A fine of RS 1,000 may also be levied. Aadhaar cannot be linked to your PAN card, so you cannot open a bank account.
How to Link Aadhar Card with Pan Card?
- Access the Income Tax e-File website.
- Make sure you’re registered. Your PAN is your unique identification number.
- Log in using your User ID, password, and birthdate.
- Upon linking your PAN to Aadhaar, you will see a pop-up window. If not already linked, click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ on the Menu bar.
- Name, date of birth, gender, and similar details will already be provided on your PAN card.
- Your screen should display your PAN details in line with those on your Aadhaar. You must correct any mismatch in either of the documents if there is one.
- If you have entered your Aadhaar number correctly, you will need to click “link now” to link your account.
- A notation will appear to inform you that your Aadhaar has successfully linked with your PAN.
Why is it essential to link the Aadhaar with PAN Card?
All PAN cardholders should link their PAN to their Aadhaar for the following reasons:
- There will be a planned deactivation of all PAN cards that aren’t linked to Aadhaar after March 31, 2022
- Lending PAN to Aadhaar should help in reducing the number of duplicate PAN cards
- Your income tax return form cannot be processed if your PAN is not linked with your Aadhaar number
- A summary of taxes owed will be provided for future reference by the user
How to link your Aadhaar with PAN Card by form filling?
There is also a manual way to connect Aadhaar with a PAN provided by CBDT. Individuals can also use this method if they cannot eliminate a mismatch between their PAN and Aadhaar data through other methods.
You can do it manually by visiting one of the service centers run by PAN, NSDL, or UTIITSL. You will be required to fill out Annexure-1 along with the copies of your PAN and Aadhaar.
In contrast to other online services, this service does not come for free. There are fees associated with it. If any corrections to PANs or Aadhars are required, the fees will be charged.
If you want to update your PAN card, the fee is Rs.110, but if you want to update your Aadhaar card, the fee is Rs.25. Biometric authentication is required when there are high mismatches between Aadhaar and PAN data.
Corrections while linking Aadhaar with PAN Card
Many people have problems linking their PAN and Aadhaar because of the mismatch of information in the documents. It will be challenging to link a document if one or more of these details are incorrect. As well as, if you cannot generate the OTP for linking your documents, you will not be able to link your documents.
In this regard, making changes to the Aadhaar will be the easiest way to update the details. In addition to names, dates of birth, addresses, gender, and mobile phone numbers, you can update the following information on your Aadhaar card. If you wish to change your address, you can only do so online. All other Aadhaar updates must be made at your local Aadhaar center.
Importance of Linking PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
Both the PAN card as well as the Aadhaar card are unique identification cards that serve as proof of identity that are necessary for registration and verification purposes.
The government has urged all entities to link their PAN cards with their Aadhaar cards. This is being done for the following purposes:
Prevent Tax Evasion:
- By linking the Aadhaar and PAN cards, the government will be able to keep tabs on the taxable transactions of a particular individual or entity, whose identity and address will be verified by his Aadhaar card. This will effectively mean that every taxable transaction or activity will be recorded by the government.
- As a result, the government will already have a detailed record of all the financial transactions that would attract tax for each entity, making tax evasion a thing of the past.
Multiple PAN Cards:
- Another reason for linking PAN with Aadhaar is to reduce the occurrence of individuals or entities applying for multiple PAN cards in an effort to defraud the government and avoid paying taxes.
- By applying for more than one PAN card, an entity can use one of the cards for a certain set of financial transactions and pay taxes applicable for those. Meanwhile, the other PAN card can be used for accounts or transactions that the entity wishes to conceal from the Income Tax department, thereby avoiding paying tax on them.
- By linking the PAN and Aadhaar card, the government will be able to link the identity of an entity through his/her Aadhaar card, and subsequently have details of all financial transactions made through the linked PAN card. If there are multiple PAN cards registered under the same name, the government will be able to identify the same and take corrective action.
PAN Aadhar Link by Filling up the form
You can also link your PAN with your Aadhaar manually by visiting Protean eGov Technologies Limited which is the PAN Service Provider and fill the form to link your PAN with Aadhaar. You will have to submit the necessary documents along with the form to successfully complete the process.
How to Check the Status of Aadhaar with PAN Card?
Given below are the steps you will have to follow to check the status of linking of Aadhaar Card with PAN:
- Step 1: Visit the Income Tax Department’s official website and go to Aadhaar Status or click on the link incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/aadhaarstatus.
- Step 2: Enter your Aadhaar and PAN number.
- Step 3: Click on ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’.
You can check the status of linking of Aadhaar with PAN via the SMS facility as well. You will have to send an SMS to 567678 or 56161 in format given below:
UIDPAN < 12-digit Aadhaar number> < 10-digit Permanent Account Number>
If your Aadhaar has been successfully linked with PAN then you will be able to see the message ‘Aadhaar (Aadhaar number) is already associated with PAN..in ITD database. Thank you for using our services’.
Benefits of Linking your Aadhaar with PAN Card
Some of the benefits of linking your PAN with Aadhaar are:
- It removes the possibility of an individual having more than one PAN Card.
- Linking of Aadhaar with PAN allows the Income Tax Department to meticulously detect any form of tax evasion.
- The process of filing income returns become considerably easy as the individual is not required to provide any proof of him or her having filed their income tax returns.
- Linking of your Aadhaar with PAN will prevent the latter from getting cancelled.
- The linking of PAN with Aadhaar will help in having a summarised detail of one’s taxes attached to Aadhaar for future reference.